Tuesday, July 8, 2008

My Favorite Colors of the Week

I love to dye fabric. The results are so satisfying. I have tried to choose a favorite color to no avail. I love every color. This lot is my favorite color of the week.

I start the dye process with unbleached muslin. The use of unbleached muslin is a conscious choice. I have not used bleach in my household for the last 20 years because of the impact chlorine has on our environment. The muslin is a good quality product with a 78 x 76 thread count. This fabric works well for needle turn applique and hand quilting.

This time I combined Golden Yellow Dye and Hot Pink in various dilutions. The darker fabrics have 4 times more dye in the solution than the pastel fabrics. I usually let the dye sit for 24 hours although it is not neccesary to wait that long. It is always hard for me to wait to see the finished product.



I ironed 33 yards of fabric last night and boy can I feel it. Does anyone have a favorite lightweight iron? Mine works wonders but weighs a ton.


No comments: