Saturday, August 9, 2008

The Iron Mountain Road


This art quilt is a recreation of a photo from our trip to the Black Hills of South Dakota. We took the Iron Mountain Road approach to Mt. Rushmore. I had seen old postcards depicting this route and was pleasantly surprised when we ended up on this road by chance.

I scanned a print from one of those old postcards to recreate Mt. Rushmore in the distance. The pine tree on the right is my first attempt at thread painting. If you plan to visit this area make time to take the Iron Mountain Road and the Needles Highway.


The photos below are from the Needles Highway:


2 comments:

Mermaid's Purse said...

The art quilt is lovely and the pine needles are wonderful! Beautiful scenery and photographs though I don't know if I'd much fancy going up there myself lol!

ArtPropelled said...

Oh magnificent scenery! Love the quilt!