Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Keeping Track of Creativity

When I started hand dying fabric I decided it would be a good idea to keep track of the results. Here are two examples of recently dye lots from earlier this spring. I made one six step color gradation using Hot Pink and Turquoise and another using Golden Yellow and Aquamarine. I make note of the basic colors used and place a sample of the base dye next to the six samples made from combining the base dye colors. I also note the type of fabric used when dying the fabric. In this case I used unbleached muslin with a thread count of 78x76, a good quality quilting fabric.


I took the idea a step further when I started making my jewelry. I purchased acid free plastic baseball card holders. In each I put a picture of the finished piece of jewelry with its inventory number. I then added a samples of the fabrics used in each piece. This reference has come in handy more than once.


Don't these 3 ring binders just call for fabric & fabric ideas inside?



2 comments:

Jackie said...

Hi Chris. Its nice to visit you again. I am finding it hard to keep up with all the lovely blogs there are to look at. Isn't it wonderful to have a collection of your own coloured fabrics? It makes your work unique. I am impressed that I can see floor in your studio! Its very tidy.

Chris Daly said...

It is very unusual to find my house this tidy. Typically there is a trail of fabric, threads and sewing machine parts left behind in my wake. :)