Saturday, June 28, 2008

Before and After




You will need to refer to my previous post for the "Before". And now for the "After"... Here are the results of my experiment. I didn't use typical tie dye methods. When tie dyeing you apply the mordant (soda ash solution) to the fabric before the dye is applied. The tie dye method keeps the dye from spreading and keeps the colors from blending as much as my method does.




I like to wet the fabric, add dye and then apply the soda ash mixture after the dye has had about 15 minutes to spread. It give the illusion of rays of sunlight. On this shirt I used extra strength dye solution because the dye I was using was old. I applied about 3 times the amount of dye needed to fully saturate the fabric. I mopped up the excess dye with cotton fabric. I came up with two yards of bonus fabric with various shades of cobalt, violets & purples. Yummy!!!

1 comment:

Bethel of Bethania said...

G'day Chris,
Woow I love how your T-shirt came out ... looks so kool & the material is indeed yummmy ... OOroo ... Bethel