Friday, June 27, 2008

I Do Love Leftovers

One of the most creative times of the day for me is the early morning. Sometimes I just can't stop myself from diving in. At 5:30 this morning I broke out some leftover dyes that had been sitting out too long to be useful for fabric dyeing. I am volunteering at "The Red Door Gallery" tomorrow and wanted something new to wear. This gallery is a local artist's cooperative run by volunteers. I exhibit stained glass window hangings, lamps & my jewelry there.



When it comes to dyeing t-shirts for my personal use I like the old dye and some of the strange colors that come out of the leftovers. Note: Procion MX fabric dye should be used with in a few days of mixing. The dye will weaken after a period of time. You can extend the life of the mixed dye by refrigerating it for up to a month.



Today I used the leftover Turquoise, Cobalt, Hot Pink and Light Red dyes. Old reds tend to separate and "freckle" for an interesting effect. Here is what my shirt looks like after the dye and fixative have been applied. I'll have to wait until tomorrow to see how it turned out. For me the hardest thing about dyeing fabric in not the process, it's waiting to see the finished product.

No comments: