Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Pillowcase Bags - Update with Tutorial Link


Our quilt guild made these pillowcase sholderbags back in May. I was not able to attend so I finished my homework before the next meeting.

I found 2 matching queen size embroidered pillowcases at a local antique store for next to nothing. You can see it's twin hanging up among all the others.








I added a denim liner to make the bag more durable and added a strap to the top so I can throw this bag over my shoulder. I'm forever loading myself down with too much to save the number of trips down to the house from the driveway. I think you would be amazed at how much I can carry with one hand. Sorry.. was I rambling on again? This was fast and easy project with great results. I think if I was to make another I would add 4 inch darts in the lower corners so the bag would have a slimmer profile and a flat bottom.

I found this tutorial with instructions similar to the ones I followed to make my bag.

8 comments:

Lynn Cohen said...

Very pretty and practical use of an old tea towel! Love the bag. And the pleat idea is great too.

Reedsburg Area Quilt Guild said...

Hi Chris,

I find these bags very interesting. Could you tell us more about the pattern and bags. I love that you used vintage pillowcases.

Debbie

Jude said...

They are lovely, please give us abit more info..

bindu said...

Such a great idea! I've put up a post about you, Chris. Take a look. :)

Reedsburg Area Quilt Guild said...

Thank you for letting me know about the tutorial being added. I linked our blog to this post so that everyone can see the beautiful version you made of the bag. You are SO clever and creative.

Debbie

Jackie's Stitches said...

What a great idea! Would make a great shopping bag too!

Unknown said...

Hello! I am over visiting from Bindu's blog. Your hand dyed fabrics are beautiful. Love the pillowcase shoulder bag, too. Glad I found you...

Susan Elliott said...

I really want to make one. I really like the stripe with the green....

I bet I could find some pillowcases at goodwill....