Saturday, June 20, 2009

Greetings From Duluth - Quilt Show Day

Greetings from Duluth Minnesota. I have always wanted to attend the Minnesota Quilters statewide show and when I saw it was scheduled in Duluth this year I could not pass up the chance. I'm so glad I made the trip. What a great quilt show! There were so many beautiful quilts to see. Before I left for the show I met two quilters in the lobby of the hotel. They invited me to share the show with them.

Marj and Miki, I treasure the time we spent together. Meeting you both was such a gift. We explored each quilt from design, to the exquisite workmanship and use of colors. I always enjoy sharing a quilt show through the eyes of other quilters. I learn so much. I hope, dear ladies, our paths cross again.

At lunchtime a quick trip across this footbridge took me from the DECC convention center to the Canal Park area. The Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory is the first shop across the bridge. I bet the quilters kept them busy!!

Canal Park is so much fun to visit. The city's effort at urban renewal has gone a long way, making this area a must see destination. Old warehouses and shipping docks now house restaurants, shops, hotels and movie theaters.


This photo shows a shot of the convention center on the left about a block away. The Waters of Superior is a wonderful art gallery. I mentioned this shop in a previous post. They just started carrying my quilt block jewelry.



I couldn't resist taking a picture of my wares in with so many other beautiful pieces. I am humbled to have my products accepted here.

In the distance you can see two water cisterns on top of what was once an old hardware supply warehouse. This building has been converted in the Hawthorne Suites Hotel. Inside you can see evidence of the building's history, from the wood grain embedded in the concrete ceilings and supports to the massive safe in the entryway. This building once housed one of the largest hardware distributors in the US.

I love the detail in old brick buildings. It is rare to see this type of construction used today. (Can you tell my day job involves commercial construction projects?)


Another look up the road toward the aerial lift bridge that spans the shipping canal in the Duluth Harbor.

P.S. On my way north I made a stop off in Eau Claire. Click here to see a bit about Tangled Up In Hue.







4 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it looks like such fun and so nice that you were able to wander around with other quilters. I have been to Duluth years and years ago when I was a baby so no longer remember it of course - we lived for a short time in Ashland WI which I believe is not real far from there - I might be mistaken I do not have the map handy.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Jackie's Stitches said...

What a wonderful trip! Looks like perfect weather!

Jackie said...

Thats so sweetly put..'Invited me to share the show'. I bet they enjoyed your company too.
x

Teri said...

I know you don't realize it but I was born in Superior right across the bay! What fun to see Duluth again through your camera. Thanks so much for sharing all these wonderful images.