Friday, December 12, 2008

Local Attractions


In late October and early November the local male deer go through a rutting season. My husband and I had a chance to see the "rut" in action. Five bucks were competing for the affection of one doe in the field behind our house. It was quite a sight to see. This buck was by far the oldest and strongest of the bunch and also the victor.
--Friday night you will be able to see the largest full moon of the year. The moon is closest to the earth this time of year. Look for high tides in coastal areas.
--In the early evening on Sunday, December 14, there will be a "window of opportunity" to view for Geminids meteor shower in a dark, moonless sky. Between the times that evening twilight ends and the time that the bright waning gibbous moon rises, there will be about an hour of dark sky available.

9 comments:

Tracey Leeder said...

Wow Chris this is one beautiful buck! How nice that you get to see nature right from the comfort of your warm house! Thats how I like to see deer, alive and kicking, not dead and strapped to the hood of a car!

Maya Sara Matthew said...

What a glorious place you live in with deer in your backyard and a beautiful night sky to observe,living in a city doesn't afford one such simple pleasures.

Maya Sara Matthew said...

What a glorious place you live in with deer in your backyard and a beautiful night sky to observe,living in a city doesn't afford one such simple pleasures.

bindu said...

What lovely horns that buck has! No wonder the girl picked him. :) Thanks for the skywatch info. I'll maybe try to take a picture of the moon tonight.

MyCretanlife said...

Oh Chris, My hubby and I love watching the sky. Hope that we have a chance to see this tonight. Thanks for the info.

Greenmare said...

oh i'm glad you mentioned about the meteor shower! I'll have to look. That moon was awesome!!!!!we are getting some rain in my portion of Wisconsin. :-( there goes most of the pretty snow. sigh

Gwen Buchanan said...

Chris what a beautiful creature.. magnificent... My father practically lived in the woods and for the woods.. he had a special affection for these guys!!! what a site indeed that must have been..

and you are so right about the High tides this weekend.. It was touching the bottom of the covered bridge in the harbor...

Patricia said...

Chris, be careful around those bucks! My dog and I saw two fighting the other day. First we heard the crack of their antlers engaged in a battle over the does.
Yesterday I saw the younger buck with only one antler and a red stump.
So sad,
Patricia

Amy said...

Hey Chris----I figured it was only considerate to stop in and thank you for the comment :0) THEN-----ths BUCK pic shows up, and my DH almost hyperventilated looking at the screen over my shoulder :0) Seriously---he even joked that he's willing to come over to take care of your "menace."
Where in Wisconsin do you live? Northern part here....